Tips to Help Your Car Weather the Winter
During the severe weather extremes of the winter months, there’s certain maintenance and safety related items that should be checked to insure they can withstand the riggers of the season. Safety is always a concern during extreme winter months with icy, wet and slippery road conditions..
Tyres for the Cars Winter Months
- Tire Tread – Making sure there is plenty of tire tread on the vehicles tire’s is important, especially for wet or icy road conditions. Not enough tire tread will cause the rear of the car to slide under wet or icy conditions. It’s always best to have plenty of tread on all four tyres. If a persons budget doesn’t allow for four new tyres, make sure that the tyres with the most tread are placed on the rear of the car, to prevent the rear from slipping.
- Winter Tyres – If the car is driven in areas were the roads aren’t well maintained during winter months, winter tyres may be a safer alternative. Winter tyres are designed specifically for better traction control on icy road conditions. If you need to find new tyres, you can find best offers online by comparing prices via tyres.net.
Brake Maintenance for the Cars Winter Months
- Brakes – The cars brakes should be checked for leaks, brake fluid level and to insure that there’s plenty of brake lining before the extremes of winter develop. Like tyres are important for traction, a proper working brake system is important for minimal stopping distance, especially on wet or icy roads.
- ABS Brakes – If the cars anti-lock brake system (ABS) light is on, have the ABS checked. If the ABS isn’t working correctly, over braking could cause the cars wheels to lock and skid on icy or wet roads.
Winter Wiper Blades for the Cars Winter Months
There are a lot of different windshield wiper blades for winter. What are the best wiper blades for winter? Some of the heated or shaker winter blades can be very effective and very expensive. During the snow months, the standard wiper blades should be replaced with at least the standard winter blades. Winter blades have a thick rubber boot that’s designed specifically for snow. Using winter blades will help improve the driver’s visibility during snowy conditions.
Important Maintenance Tips for a Cars Winter Months
- Car batteries don’t like extreme temperature conditions. Before the onslaught of winter, have the battery strength tested to insure it’s putting out the correct amount of cold cranking amps to avoid getting stranded.
- Test the engine antifreeze/coolant strength before the winter months. The local auto parts store should carry antifreeze test strips that can test the strength of the antifreeze ability to keep from freezing. If the test results indicate weak engine antifreeze, drain and refill with new coolant.
- Make sure that the windshield washer fluid is replaced with a fluid that won’t freeze in cold climates.
- Always carry a car winter emergency kit in the vehicle. Make sure it has the basic essentials for surviving and getting help if stranded during blizzard conditions.
Adhering to a routine vehicle maintenance program is also important for extreme seasonal driving conditions. Make sure the vehicle is taken to an auto repair shop that will complete a rigorous multi-point inspection that covers all vehicle safety checks like brakes, tyres, battery, fluid levels, wiper blades, brake lights, head lights and turn signals.